Thursday, August 28, 2014

National Dog Day and Throw Back Thursday Quilts

Today is Throw Back Thursday and this week was National Dog Day, so this post is about dogs and quilts from the past.  We had a rescue Chihuahua for a short time.  We didn’t know his name, so we named him Max – for 2 reasons.  First because of the sarcasm with calling a small dog max and secondly because we name all our pets after cartoon characters and Max is the loveable dog from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.  Max bonded with me immediately and always jumped into my lap every chance he got.  I noticed that whatever the temperature, Max was always shaking or shivering, so I decided he needed a quilt.  I knew what I wanted this quilt to look like, but in 2006, I didn’t have any paper piecing skills.  So, I started cutting fabric and sewing it together to come up with the look I was after, eventually making a template so they would all look alike.



As I mentioned above, we only had Max for a short time because it turned out he was a biter and my kids were young and small at the time.  We found a loving home for Max with a retired couple who completely spoil him.

A couple of years ago, one of my aunts rescued a small dog – I’m not sure of the exact breed or breeds, but it is a small dog.  I so enjoyed reading her posts on facebook about the adventures of her little Emmi going out in the snow.  It was such a cute relationship that they developed and I once again decided that Emmi needed a quilt.  I made the fun tilted blocks quilt along with a matching tote for my aunt and dog walk bag that held potty bags.






I have posted a free tutorial for making the tilted blocks on the website.  http://www.lovequilting.com/shop/free-lovequilting-com-exclusive/tilted-block/

Consider making a small quilt for your favorite pooch – check out the fun whimsical Loralie dog fabric and coordinates.  http://www.lovequilting.com/product-category/fabric/?filtering=1&filter_manufacturer=201

#nationaldogday #weloveourdog #fabric #happydog #quilting #loraliefabric #lovequilting

Do what you love - love what you do - Lovequilting.com

http://www.lovequilting.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment