Thursday, September 18, 2014

Throw Back Thursday - Quilt Style

TBT Quilt Style!

My mom, like most quilters had an extensive collection of fabric, notions, gadgets, books and unfinished projects.  After she passed, my dad wanted to do something positive with her collection, so I offered to take it.  What can I say, I’m a giver like that!

With this new collection I acquired, I decided that I would make one small quilt a week to donate to kids in hospitals, because kids should never be sick enough to be in hospitals.  And if they are, then they should have a quilt to snuggle.  I will expand on that project at a later date.

Since it is TBT Quilt Style, I wanted to mention the unfinished projects that I acquired, some of which still remain in their plastic bags.  Today’s quilt is of an Amish Star.  I found this project in a bag with 12 completed blocks.  They were hand pieced!  The stitching lines had been marked with a pencil.  There was a magazine in the bag, which is how I knew the name of the project, dated 1990.  Also in the bag was some of the flowered fabric and some of the white fabric.





I purchased the green fabric to coordinate with the flowered fabric so I could work with just the 12 blocks, set them on point, add blank squares and setting triangles and stretch the 12 – 12” blocks into a full lap size quilt.  I spent extra time custom quilting this one which I felt it deserved since my mom had taken such care to piece these blocks by hand.




The end result of this quilt was probably not even close to what my mom's vision was when she began this project.  But, I think she would have been pleased with it because she embraced the longarm movement in quilting and she would have been proud to be part of this quilt style collaboration!




In addition to the many charity quilts I made and donated that year, there were many family and friends that had touched my mom’s life over the years and were extra special to her throughout her ovarian cancer battle. 

This Amish Star quilt was given to my parents across the street neighbors, Bob and Gina, who were especially kind to my parents for as long as they were neighbors.  This quilt meant the world to them and I received the nicest thank you letter ever!






#fabric #quilting #unfinishedprojects #amishstar #weallmissyoumom #lovequilting

Do what you love - love what you do - Lovequilting.com!

http://www.lovequilting.com/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment